Request: Kingdom Hearts II – Sea Salt Ice-cream
You’ll notice the addition of hearts on this post and they will be added to past posts too - it’s to give you an idea of the level of difficulty the recipe is so you can pick a recipe to suit your ability should you wish to make something. Anyway, I can’t tell you the amount of requests I’ve had for Sea Salt Ice-cream - Kingdom Hearts certainly has an incredible fan base! So I thought I’d treat you all with the first post of 2012 because I’m just that good to you. I’ve learned that this is (or was) actually available at Tokyo DisneySea and that Tetsuya Nomura’s love for the treat explains its appearance in Kingdom Hearts II. Kingdom Hearts has a lot of delicious looking ice-creams in it, I feel like I’ve missed out now by not playing it when it first came out which upon reflection seems crazy considering one of my favourite games is Mickey’s Castle of Illusion for the Sega Mega Drive and the Disney-Final Fantasy combination sounds right up my alley. Though I have no idea what it should taste like I was excited by the prospect of flavoured salts and creating a twist on the classic vanilla ice-cream.
This recipe serves 4.
What you will need: A pot, a large bowl and 2 small bowls, a sieve, a wooden spoon, a medium container, a whisk, ice-cream moulds and wooden ice-cream sticks.
½ Vanilla Pod
2 Tablespoons High Quality Sea Salt Flakes
125ml / ½ Cup Milk
75g / ⅓ Cup Sugar
250ml / 1 Cup Whipping/Heavy Cream
3 Egg Yolks
Blue Food Colouring
Preparing the Sea Salt Ice-cream:
- Add half of the vanilla seeds to the salt. Rub the vanilla into the salt until well mixed – seal and leave to infuse.
- If you don’t have an ice-cream machine (like me) place the container you’ll chill the ice-cream in into the freezer.
- Warm the milk, sugar and rest of the vanilla pod together in a pot on a medium heat. Cover, remove from the heat once warmed through and leave the vanilla to fragrance the milk for about 30 minutes.
- While the milk cools set up an ‘ice bath’ – half fill a large bowl with water and ice and place a smaller bowl inside. Pour the cream into the smaller bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl whisk the egg yolks. Rewarm the now cooled and infused milk, gradually add the milk to the egg yolks whisking constantly. Once combined return the milk and egg to the pot.
- Heat the mixture over a low heat, stirring constantly until it thickens and forms a custard. Do NOT let it boil! If bubbles or foam appear remove it from the heat immanently.
- Sieve the custard into the bowl of cream over the ice bath. Stir well until it begins to cool, add the blue food colouring until the desired colour is achieved then place the bowl into the fridge to chill for several hours or overnight.
Making the Sea Salt Ice-cream:
- Pour the chilled ice-cream mixture into the prepared frozen tray then return it to the freezer or use your ice-cream maker.
- After about 40 minutes add the vanilla salt to taste and vigorously stir or whisk the mixture as it begins to set. Check on it every 30 minutes after this, continuing to mix well. Repeat this for about 2 – 3 hours every 30 minutes.
- Once solidified take it out and allow it to soften. Once soft spoon it into the ice-pop moulds, be wary of air bubbles forming – it’s a good idea to mix the ice-cream around in the mould to try and remove as many as possible. If it’s too soft, pop it into the freezer for a bit before sliding in the wooden sticks and placing in the freezer to set.
- To remove the ice-cream from the mould sit it in a bath of warm water until the outside begins to melt then carefully slide them out.
Feel free to keep this ice-cream in a tub or for a more authentic look use the moulds and wooden ice-cream sticks. For any doubtful British fans this sweet yet salty mixture means the ice-cream tastes less like a full dairy, or cream laden Cornwall style and more like an ice-cream van ‘99’ taste. For Americans I’d imagine the equivalent is what you’d call ‘soft-serve’ (if America is devoid of the classic 99 cone with a Flake – I feel sorry for you). And I don’t know what it is, blue is apparently an appetite suppressant but for me bright blue foods simply means “more delicious”. Cute and quirky Sea Salt Ice-cream is a surprising balance with a wonderful texture. Also if you have any left over vanilla salt it apparently goes wonderfully with certain fish.
Like this? You might also enjoy the Kingdom Hearts - Spark Lemon.
Somebody remind me to make this when I have the ingredients? Sara had it once and said it was amazing.
- peanut-butter-n-marshmallows likes this
- ask-elleore likes this
- spettroitalianodiavolo likes this
- ohleao likes this
- askcosplayerengland likes this
- ask-miss-vargas likes this
- shinedoitsu reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- nquetzl likes this
- darkpit2012 reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- r-to-the-core reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- r-to-the-core likes this
- kuruluv likes this
- giroroh reblogged this from lamiroirr
- lamiroirr reblogged this from fictionkin-cuisine
- theacejoker reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- theacejoker likes this
- eldiabla reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- happyshaddow94 likes this
- peonymoonflower likes this
- sabarys likes this
- walcraft likes this
- zalkyrion reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- zalkyrion likes this
- kaitosdream likes this
- nishifhim likes this
- nishifhim reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- siidere likes this
- littlemissbattlefield likes this
- terminallygallowed reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- terminallygallowed likes this
- dreadpaladin likes this
- dramaticaltitanfighter reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- u-four-ia likes this
- fictionkin-cuisine reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- kurragehime likes this
- allaboardthen0petrain likes this
- lifeisfoodandlove likes this
- ruriune reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- fallenwithstars reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- my-personal-cookbook reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- twignapped likes this
- axellae reblogged this from gourmetgaming
- marrrrrra likes this
- repalec likes this
- f0x0n4c1d likes this
- aluciddreamer likes this
- deceitful-encounters likes this
- sindurele likes this
- cartoontriper likes this
- filmlovecoffee likes this