Spotlight Series: 5 Times George Takei Inspired Us
1. When he took on his legendary role as Sulu and gave the Asian community a hero. “So many people have told me that for the first time they had someone they could relate to and be proud of when they turned on Star Trek… because they saw an Asian character who was not a stereotype, who was in many ways a hero, who was part of the leadership team…and that made them feel proud.” (YouTube)
2. When he opened up about growing up on a Japanese internment camp. “Life in prison became routine. We lined up three times a day to eat lousy food, I went with my father to a mass shower, and then I started school. The irony that I still remember is that they taught us the Pledge of Allegiance, and I could see the barbed wire fence and the sentry tower right outside my schoolhouse window as I recited, “…with liberty and justice for all.” (The Daily Beast)
3. When he marched with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. as a teenage activist. “I was in a civil rights musical at that time, Fly Blackbird, and I met Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and shook his hand. I was involved in activism from my teenage days, then the peace movement during the Vietnam War, then the redress movement for Japanese-Americans.” (The Daily Beast)
4. When he broke his silence on LGBT rights and came out. “I decided to come out to the press after then-Governor Schwarzenegger vetoed legislation granting marriage equality in California. I was outraged that he would cave to political pressures, but also inspired by the young people I saw demonstrating against his actions.” (The Huffington Post)
5. When he reminded us that inclusiveness is not only better, but healthy too.
For all the awesome that you are, George Takei we <3 you!
"fight like a girl" is meant to imply weakness, but some girls don’t play nice.
Always reblogging this.
YES. Though, who says the doctor wasn’t there to help? ;)
My mother says that fanfiction doesn’t count as reading because “it isn’t nearly as good as the stuff that’s published. You’re not going to find something online that will win a Booker Prize.”
Please reblog if you count fan fiction as reading, or if the fanfiction you’ve read is equally as good as published novels. I want to see the figures.
*crushes mouse while hitting reblog button*
I have found that most fanfic is BETTER than published novels
George Takei is a beautiful human being.
I love George Takei!
George Takei being amazing and mocking these sad, pathetic bigoted idiots in his glorious style
It is the best thing
LOOK AT ALL THIS STAR-SASS RIGHT HERE :D
Is this man even real?
That last one kills me. His wink is just too fabulous!
next time you’re at a party in a town that you hate or dont give a shit about or something see how many dudes you can sneak off with and like go to take off their pants but then just pull their belt out of their pants and leave. see how many belts you can collect & compete with your friends. this is a sport called final fantasying
Hehehehe. Also, I just love Lulu’s outfit. A lot.
Well done society.
I swear if this gets any more notes then I fear for the next generation.